Big rig, semi, and 18-wheeler accidents are particularly dangerous due to their sheer size and mass of the vehicles. Passenger vehicles tend to take the brunt of these collisions, which often times results in serious and even fatal injuries.
Why do truck accidents occur so frequently on Texas roads? Oftentimes it comes down to profits over safety. Our Dallas truck accident attorneys have witnessed trucking companies claim that they are revising their safety policies and procedures time and again in an effort to reduce the number of deadly accidents. Unfortunately, these new protocols are rarely put into action and trucking companies continue placing profits ahead of the safety of other motorists.
When victims sustain injuries in a truck accident, it is crucial that they reach out to a truck accident attorney in Texas as soon as possible. Victims may be entitled to compensation to help alleviate the financial burdens resulting from medical costs, lost wages, property damages, and non-economic damages they face. The attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm have fought for over 27-years to help victims throughout the state get the justice they deserve after being harmed in accidents. Contact our law firm at your earliest convenience to see how we can help you.
DID YOU KNOW: Over 15 million trucks are driving on the road in any given year, and in that time there are over 400,000 truck accidents leading to over 100,000 injuries.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Texas
Truck accidents are often caused by the reckless actions of drivers. Given the size and weight of these vehicles, we would like to believe that those in control of them are more likely to engage in responsible actions while behind the wheel. Unfortunately, this is far from the truth. Instead, we continue to see numerous victims throughout our state left with life-threatening injuries from truck accidents.
7 common causes of truck-vs-car accidents in Dallas:
- Speeding: When a truck driver speeds in order to meet a deadline, he or she is acting recklessly. Attempting to move an 80,000 pound road monster faster then the speed limit is never a good idea. It is very hard to stop when you have that much weight and mass behind you.
- Heavy Payloads: Heavy loads can compromise the balance of an 18-wheeler truck. When a trucker is carrying an unusually heavy load, it becomes more difficult to maneuver and stop even at normal speeds. In addition, when a loaded-down truck does hit car, the damage is far more severe. Flatbed trucks and tanker trucks are notorious for this, but dump trucks and garbage trucks are often just as bad.
- Lack of Maintenance: Maintaining semi trucks is necessary to avoid mechanical failure. If a truck is not properly maintained, even the safest truck driver is at a much greater risk of causing an accident. One mechanical failure such as brakes or suspension is, unfortunately all it takes to cause a deadly accident to happen.
- Lack of Sleep: Truckers are human just like the rest of us and when they are overworked or sleep-deprived, they make mistakes. It’s important to realize that many experienced truckers are paid by the mile, and thus want to push their bodies to the limit in order to earn a better paycheck. Because of this, many truck drivers push themselves too far and end up falling asleep at the wheel. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) already allows truckers to drive as much as 11 hours at a time. Some truckers have been found falsifying hours-of-service records in order to appease their bosses or increase their pay.
- Highway Hypnosis: This condition refers to a sort of trance-like state that occurs after a driver travels hundreds of miles watching the same monotonous road scenery. Eventually a driver can zone out, causing an inhibited ability to react in an appropriate manner.
- Blind Spots: One of the first thing new drivers learn when taking a semi truck driving test is to avoid the blind spot. Most mirror systems on trucks do not allow the trucker a full view of the area behind them. Loud engine noise also tends to drown out any honks from concerned motorists. This makes it very easy for them to accidentally sideswipe other vehicles.
- Carelessness or Recklessness: Last, but not least, some truckers simply negligent in their attitude that other motorists should yield to them because of their massive size. Not every motorist can and the results can be deadly.
Why are 18-wheeler truck accidents so deadly?
18-wheeler accidents can cause serious injuries and death due to their massive size compared to other vehicles on the road. This means greater force upon impact. The typical injuries that result from 18 wheeler collisions include broken bones, spinal cord injuries, paralysis, brain damage, and even wrongful death
The truck accident lawyers at Rasansky Law Firm evaluate each 18 wheeler truck accident thoroughly, looking at every possible angle, and every potential party that may share in the blame. Potentially-liable parties can include the trucking company operating the semi, the manufacturer of your car or of the 18-wheeler (in respect to product defect), road construction companies failure to provide appropriate notice of road defects or road hazards, fleet maintenance companies for failing to maintain the vehicle, and others.
The laws involved in truck accident cases are very difficult to navigate and are often extremely complex. Because of this, it’s extremely important that you talk to a lawyer about your case as soon as possible after your accident. Our experienced truck accident attorneys will evaluate your case at no cost to you. We can take your case on a contingency basis, which means there are No Fees unless we win your case.
Liable Parties in Texas Truck Accidents
Unlike most auto accidents, those involving commercial transport vehicles often have much heftier insurance policies available for victims. This is due to the fact that truck accidents often result in catastrophic injuries and extensive damages. Truck accidents frequently have several parties who can be named in personal injury lawsuits in Texas. Some parties who are liable for the injuries and damages in truck accidents throughout Texas include:
Truck Drivers: The driver of the truck bears the biggest share of liability in most truck accidents. This is due to the fact that driver error is a leading cause of truck accidents. When truck drivers engage in reckless, negligent, or distracted behaviors while operating their vehicles, they are likely to cause life-altering accidents involving others on the road.
The Truck Owner: The owner of the truck is required to ensure drivers are qualified, responsible, and diligent while operating their vehicles. Truck owners need to verify licenses, ensure experience, and make sure the driver does not have a poor driving record.
The Trucking Company: Trucking companies are often rushed to hire new drivers to deliver loads that they take shortcuts. When trucking companies fail to ensure drivers are licensed and experienced, they can be held liable for instances where accidents occur.
Cargo Company: Cargo companies must load products onto trailers with care and consideration. It is imperative that the products are evenly distributed to prevent tip-overs from happening. When trucks are not loaded properly, it can lead to shifts in the load. It is equally important that cargo is adequately secured in the trailer. When cargo companies engage in reckless and negligent practices, it can lead to significant accidents.
Manufacturers: It is imperative that semi-trucks function as they are intended. Trucks with faulty brakes, accelerators, and other malfunctioning parts can be impossible to control. As a result, drivers are likely to be involved in collisions. When truck accidents are caused by defective or malfunctioning parts or vehicles, manufacturers and other involved parties can be held liable for injuries and damages.
Victims who are injured in truck accidents need legal guidance from qualified attorneys who have a thorough understanding of federal and state laws, as well as regulations, surrounding truck accidents. The team at Rasansky Law Firm has decades of experience helping victims maximize their recoveries after being involved in a truck accident. Contact our law firm today to protect your legal rights and get the justice you deserve.
Maximize Your Recovery After a Truck Accident in Texas
The Texas truck accident lawyers at Rasansky Law Firm have extensive experience helping victims move forward after being involved in a truck accident. We strive to help our clients achieve their goals in recovery and overcoming the effects of their accidents. One way of doing this is by helping our clients obtain the maximum amount of compensation possible to cover the economic and non-economic damages they face.
The attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm believe that victims should never be forced to spend tens of thousands of dollars on costs related to their accidents due to another person’s actions. For this reason, we help them obtain the maximum amount of compensation available for damages they face, including:
- Medical bills for doctor appointments, surgery, hospitalization, and various treatments.
- Long-term costs that are related to therapy, rehabilitation, and medication.
- Lost income related to taking time off for appointments and recovery.
- Lost earning capacity for victims who are left permanently impaired.
- Mental anguish as well as pain and suffering.
- Loss of consortium.
If victims lose their lives in truck accidents resulting from the actions of other drivers, we help their families obtain full and fair compensation through wrongful death claims. Our truck accident attorneys in Texas help families maximize their recoveries for funeral arrangement costs, burial services fees, loss of benefits, and more. If you were injured in a truck accident, or your loved one lost their life, as a result of another driver’s actions, contact our law firm today to explore legal options available for you.
Contact a Dallas truck Accident lawyer Today.
If you sustained injuries in a truck accident as a result of another driver’s actions, it is crucial that you act quickly to protect your legal rights and best interests. Do not try to negotiate with the negligent party on your own! Trucking companies are ruthless when it comes to tricking victims into ruining their own case. They will try and minimize your claims, distort the facts, and will outright lie to you. Never accept their terms, and do not attempt to negotiate! Doing this only diminishes the value of your case. Being represented by a knowledgeable attorney ensures you have the best chance to get the compensation you deserve.
Contact Rasansky Law Firm to speak with a Dallas 18 wheeler accident lawyer today at 1-877-405-4313. If your case is accepted, there is no up-front cost to you. We only get paid if we’re successful at recovering compensation in your case. We take all the financial risk so that you can focus on recovery.